Sweet and lean and similar to chicken in taste, rabbit is extremely versatile and can be cooked in various ways.
Rabbit has been used and may be suitable for special diets, such as those for heart disease patients, diets for the aged, low sodium diets, weight reduction diets, etc. Of course this is between you and your doctor. We do not make any recommendations of this type because we are not qualified.
10 REASONS WHY YOU SHOULD EAT RABBIT MEAT!
1. It is one of the best white meats available on the market today.
2. It has a high percentage of easily digestible protein.
3. It contains the least amount of fat among all the other available meats.
4. Contains less calorie value.
5. Is almost cholesterol free and therefore heart patient friendly.
6. The sodium content is comparatively less.
7. The calcium and phosphorus contents of this meat is more than any other meats.
8. The ratio of meat to bone is high meaning there is more edible meat on the carcass than even a chicken.
9. Does not have a strong flavor and is comparable to chicken but not identical.
10. Rabbits are one of the most productive domestic livestock animals. Rabbits can produce 6 pounds of meat on the same feed and water as the cow will produce 1 pound of meat on the same feed and water.
Nutritional Rabbit Facts from USDA.
The healthiest meat known to man. Is high in protein and low in cholesterol. Rabbit has a lower percent of fat than Chicken, Veal, Turkey, Beef, Lamb or Pork.
Most meats are high in fats. Rabbit is a good meat choice because it is the lower in fat than Chicken Veal Turkey, Beef Lamb or Pork.
Eating the wrong type of cholesterol may lead to heart problems. Red meat and pork are equally high and are often discouraged in low cholesterol diets. If you want to eat some type of meat you should consider eating rabbit meat which is lower in cholesterol than chicken.